Thursday, April 24, 2008

Facebook instant messenger

I played with Facebook IM for the first time yesterday and I was pretty impressed with the front end display and the way it has been incorporated into the UI of the existing site. A few issues though:

- it told me people were online who clearly were not
- new messages took an age to "load" (or so I was being told) so not very instant

I might actually use it once it works. It got me wondering though how much this will antagonise corp IT departments who block IM clients already. Will it cause FB to be blocked by more businesses or can the functionality be separated from the rest of the site? Is it any different to playing scrabble? Will anyone care.

I also tried to pull in some Yelp news from my profile there. Oh dear - started getting someone else's activity (and yes I checked the email address).

EDIT: and FB is getting very, very, very low just now. I had to stop using it for a while as it just ground to a halt.

No comments: